Saturday, January 12, 2008

ta-da.

it's been awhile, but here is a post about a word from the english language. i know you have been missing these. don't worry, i'm sure there will be more to come. (hint, hint adriane.)

the word for today is:

sapient \SAY-pee-unt\ adjective
: possessing or expressing great sagacity

definitely a new word for me. and the best part about this word is that i had to look up sagacity. i love when i look up a word and upon reading the definition, i realize that i have to look up another word. my own mini treasure hunt. good stuff.

so the bonus word for today is:

sagacity \si-GA-si-tee\ noun
: the quality of being sagacious

and even better than having to look up a second word...looking up a third.

sagacious \si-GAY-shis\ adjective
1 : keen in sense perception
2 a: of keen and farsighted penetration and judgment : discerning
b: caused by or indicating acute discernment

beautiful. i love words. and i promise to use this word this week. and i challenge you to the same.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

all right, all right. i get it, chelle. it's high time for me to make a post here. i am working on it...i promise.

Damian said...

I'm glad I stumbled upon this blog. If I was building my own house I would add a room for words called the vocabularium.

laurie said...

i'm still not sure if i understand the original definition...i must go on my own treasure hunt

Anonymous said...

stumble back soon, damian.

we've resolved to be more bloggy this year. i have a good one coming soon, with specific aim at bloggers with crappy punctuation skills.

having said that, i'd have a room called the saloon. where there are those swingy doors, fights aplenty, shattering glass, collapsible furniture, dusty cowboys in full western wear, and a piano that never stops playing. that never gets old.

chelle. said...

adriane...

oh how i love thee.
let me count the ways...

hahaha.
but really, i do love you.