Friday, June 8, 2007

ah...words...funny, little words.

first--thanks ade, for making our new blog look beautiful.
sure do appreciate ya!

the m-w.com word of the day sure brought a smile to my face. not so much the word, but the definition. here it is:

thimblerig \THIM-bul-rig\ verb

1. to cheat by trickery.
2. to swindle by a trick in which a small ball or pea is quickly shifted from under one to another of three small cups to fool the spectator guessing its location.

definition number two is quite descriptive and defines only one situation. i like its preciseness. but this is not the definition that brought a smile to my face.

definition number is the one that brought a smile to my face. i decided when i was reading the definition that i love the word trickery. i truly enjoy it. i don't use it nearly enough. actually, never, but i should. and i am going to. i'm going to start using the word trickery more. starting today.

i don't know why i love the word. to me, it sounds like a fun word, even though it technically isn't a "fun" word. i think that maybe i love it so much because one of my favorite actors delivered a line in a movie that included the word trickery.

in the break-up, vince vaughn--my favorite actor--says, "there's a really big gap between getting your ass kicked, and having a dancing, singing sprite fool you with trickery, and then strike your throat before you know that you're even in the fight."

i didn't care much for the entire movie, but that one line alone makes the movie for me. and i think that is where my love for the word trickery comes from.

so...

thimblerig--good word.
trickery--best word.

well, at least for today.

ps. a special thanks goes out to my movie guru for the movie quote.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know you didn't know this, but trickery is also one of my favorite words. and somehow my dearest emily seems to use it more often than anyone else i know. i believe she uses cunning trickery.

chelle. said...

another reason to love emily.

like i needed one.