Wednesday, June 13, 2007

i changed my mind.

i know that in my last post i said that trickery was my favorite word. but i changed my mind after i received the word of the day on monday. here is the word and definition.

wimple \WIM-pul\ verb

1 : to cover with or as if with a wimple : veil
2 : to ripple
3 chiefly scottish : to follow a winding course : meander


can you guess my new favorite word? okay, i will tell you. i think my new favorite word might be meander. don't get me wrong. i still really enjoy trickery. but i enjoy meander just a tiny bit more.

i know that i like this word because of the essay by mary schmich that people claimed was kurt vonnegut's work. i enjoy that essay and i especially enjoy that baz luhrmann put it to music.

whenever i heard the word meander, i think of this essay/song. and when i think of this essay/song, i think of the part that says, "the real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4 pm on some idle tuesday." and when i think of that part, i think of the day that i decided i was going to move to boston. it wasn't 4 pm on an idle tuesday. it was 6 pm on an idle thursday. i don't know how the connection was made, but it was and now it will forever live in my memory.

so, yes...meander is my favorite word, at least for today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've never told you this, but i LOVE the word wimple. why? because they sing about it in "the sound of music". ahhhh...in the song "how do you solve a problem like maria?" they say this: "and underneath her wimple, she has curlers in her hair..."

i love pretend nuns. who sing.

Anonymous said...

geez. the word meander makes me think of streams and rivers, carving a meandering path away from the norm. i guess i paid way too much attention in school as a teen.